Sun 4/330 with faulty serial interface...

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 06:35:35 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 07:16 -0500, Dave Dunfield wrote:
> Even if you don't have an extender board, it is far easier to tack a lead
> on to points you want to test than to be removing and replacing entire devices
> in the hope of being lucky. -- Just MHO.

Yep, I was thinking that too. Wish I'd tried to bring the whole machine
home now!

I wonder if I can power the board here... far as I know it's standard
VME bus and probably doesn't need any strange voltages (just lots of
current - there's a huge amount of silicon on the board).

Only question is whether it'll get upset not being connected to a
backplane (which would contain a handful of pull-up / pull-down
resistors etc.).

Other than the bus issue it's a totally self-contained board, so I'd be
able to fault-find on it under powered conditions on the bench.