Variable Word length CPU

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Nov 6 15:24:28 CST 2005

On 11/6/2005 at 3:04 PM Gil Carrick wrote:

>SPOOL actually means Simultaneous Peripheral Operations On-Line, so that
is
>not the correct term to use in this case. That refers to using a disk
drive
>as a buffer for record oriented I/O devices so that program execution is
>separated from the slower I/O devices. The 1401 was an off-line system for
>card to tape input & tape to punch/print output.

Mostly a matter of sneakers and one's concept of time. :)  But what I can't
recall was IBM's term for the 1401-7090 setup--there was one, I'm sure.
And you're correct that it was quite prevalent--I used such a setup at
Purdue.  IIRC, the 7090 (actually 2 of them) were turned into frontends for
the CDC 6500 that was later acquired.  PUFFT, anyone?

Cheers,
Chuck