help - 11/34 console problem -- first LA output

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Tue Nov 8 11:11:44 CST 2005

>Subject: Re: help - 11/34 console problem -- first LA output
>   From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
>   Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 07:20:06 -0800
>     To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
>
>On 11/8/2005 at 7:36 AM Allison wrote:
>
>>NEC and DEC but never Datapoint.
>
>Darn--I've wondered about a design link between Datapoint and Beehive
>terminals.  The Beehive design resembled the Datapoint more than
>trivially--it used no static ram, but rather dynamic shift registers as
>screen and working memory for the 8008.  Since that was a pretty formidable
>design for its time, I wondered if Beehive had recruited Datapoint talent
>to do it, since DP would have had the best knowledge of the wiorkings of
>the 8008.
>
>Cheers,
>Chuck

That was technology of the era. hasiltine H1000 and H2000 terminals
and I think the VT05(hard memory test) did as well. Static rams were
expensive and small and since screen ram was by nature circular as
part of the raster scan it makes sense to keep the whole mess as
shift registers.

Never worked much with terminals printing systems were more my thing.

Allison