Reverse Engineering 15 yr old electronics

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor at starpower.net
Fri Nov 11 13:43:14 CST 2005

While I, like a lot in this group, tinker with old computers, I have
started another project that involves more than old computers.  Hope this
is close to being on topic, some of you may find it interesting.

I purchased parts of a Nicolet Fourier Transform Spectrometer with the goal
of putting together a working Michaelson Interferometer.  What I have is
the beamsplitter/moving mirror portion (essentially the optical/mechanical
portion of a Michaelson Interferometer) and the electronics which
controlled the moving mirror, counted laser fringes and triggered the A/D.

What I don't have is circuit schematics that tell me how to connect power
to these parts and what voltages, and how to cable the electronics to the
interferometer portion.

Any tips on how to efficiently reconstruct circuit diagrams from inspection
of the electronics?  There are two cards, with standard TTL and analog
parts.  The printed circuit has a design date of 1985, while the IC's have
88-89 dates.

Doug