what's the world's biggest circuit/motherboard?

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Wed Nov 16 08:44:37 CST 2005

>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Holt <andyh at andyh-rayleigh.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

 Andy> I think the largest PCB I've seen is that for the Whitechapel
 Andy> workstation - tho' the boards for the Gould 9000 and Honywell
 Andy> L66 come fairly close.

 Andy> I suppose some old mainframes might have their entire
 Andy> "engineers panel" on one PCB.

 Andy> I suspect that very few boards were made that are wider than a
 Andy> standard 19" rack.

I've seen boards substantially bigger than that, in high end telecom
gear (n * 10 Gb/s switches).  Those were meant to sit vertically in a
card cage, perhaps 30 inches tall.

One board I saw was full of big IC, most of them with 1000 pins or
more (back in 2001).  The "little ones" had "only" 600.

The backplane was a monster too, 32 layers I think.

The company is gone now.

    paul