Reverse Engineering 15 yr old electronics

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor at starpower.net
Wed Nov 16 20:01:37 CST 2005

Thanks to all who responded, it is real food for thought.  To sum up, my
project is to extract wiring diagrams from 2 boards.  The first has about
25 TTL ICs and about a dozen op amps, lots of resistors and capacitors,
etc.  On the first board only the IC's are numbered, the resistors and
capacitors and diodes are not.  The second board only has a few components
but all the parts are numbered, which is good. However, the second board
has a large A/D convertor from 1985 that I know nothing about, it has no
markings but I think it is an Analog Solutions model.

I will proceed by following some of the wisdom from the group:

1. If I can, put sticky labels on the IC's with diagrams of the functions,
some of the IC's are, e.g., quad and gates, number the IC's and the gates
individually.  Is it possible to print on some kind of Avery sticky
paper?  Will I be able to see that small?

2. Label all resistors and capacitors, R1 C1 ....

3. Label all connectors also, J1 pin 2 ....

4. Oh, almost forgot, get data sheets on all the IC's.

5. Use a large sheet of paper for drawing.

6. Continuity tester is a must.

I'll post progress to my web space.

Doug