Cooling and leaks; was: removing parts from PCBs

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Mon Nov 21 19:06:43 CST 2005

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 11/21/2005 at 12:55 PM Eric J Korpela wrote:
>

>>The drawbacks of this system are that you need to prime it, and that a bad
>>enough leak will disrupt the coolant flow, so you need to monitor the flow
>>rate or have a decent thermal shutdown mechanism. You need that in case of
>>pump failure, anyway.
>

> Why not simply use a standard sump pump?  Most such pumps can push a 15 or
> 20 foot head and don't need to be primed.

   I think that putting the computer higher than the pump can push is
the point.   If the computer's on the low-pressure side of the circuit,
(the pump is *pulling* water through instead of *pushing* ) it would
take a very large leak to get the system wet.  It'll pull air into the
water lines, instead of pushing water out into the electronics.

	Doc