Need recommendations on a terminal server setup

joseph c lang jclang at notms.net
Thu Nov 24 09:42:43 CST 2005

On Saturday 19 November 2005 15:27, you wrote:
> Wolfe, Julian wrote:
> > Alright,
> >
> > I'm getting ready to make my 11/23+ available online for people to play
> > with, but I'm a bit stumped as far as how I should attach the serial
> > lines to my Ethernet network.
> >
> > Now, I have a Sun server running Solaris 10 which I was able to connect
> > a couple serial lines to and then tunneled that through a telnet port,
> > but I'd rather not do that...with the setup I'm thinking of, we're
> > talking about a whole lot of cable running into that box.
> >
> > Does anyone here have suggestions on what I should use for a terminal
> > server?  If I could just mount a DECserver box in my PDP-11 chassis that
> > would be great, but isn't the Ethernet port DECnet-only?
>
> Look on ebay for a DECserver 700.  There are 8- and 16-port versions.
> They will do telnet.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

If you're looking on e-bay (or anyware else for that matter) be aware
there are several different model numbers for dec servers. many of
them do not support stand alone boot.

I have the DSRVW-YC. It does NOT support stand-alone boot.
It does support bootting from a BOOTP/TFTP server or MOP.

IIRC  all the model numbers that have the -Y? suffix don't
support internal flash cards and require a boot server.

joe lang