IBM 1130 arrived from Austria

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Nov 29 12:57:51 CST 2005

On 11/29/2005 at 12:24 AM woodelf wrote:

>Don't say 30 years, it makes me feel old! :)

It'd be closer to 40 if you got one when the system was new.  A very odd
bird--I think many business customers opted instead for the S/360-20 as an
entry system.   The first cousin of the 1130, the 1800, however, enjoyed
quite a run as a process-control computer.  I know that the Standard Oil
refinery not too far from my home used one.  One of the problems with the
1130 is that it was a dead-end; there was no real upgrade path beyond core
increments and a few peripheral choices.  In particular, I'm not aware of
anyone trying to hook a 729 tape drive to one, nor even sure that it could
be done.

I hope Bob can get this thing working, though I don't envy him working with
old core that's been through a long-distance voyage.  I suppose there's
always SRAM if the memory's not salvageable.

I didn't spend that much time on the 1130 (8K models were sort of limited),
but I do remember the Selectric console typewriter and the 2315 cartridge
drive--and a very small instruction set that one could learn in an
afternoon.

Cheers,
Chuck