"Market" for old macs?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Wed Nov 30 00:23:45 CST 2005

Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner wrote:
>>I ask because I'm reminded of the "x86 dead zone" -- a zone where a machine
>>isn't old enough to be compatible with older software, but isn't new enough to
>>be useful (a Pentium 133 falls into this category -- can't run old stuff, can't
>>run new stuff, so toss it in the garbage).
>
>   Well, only if you mean Microsoft stuff.  Get an older distribution of
> Linux and it'll work fine.  I have an old AMD 586 I still use, and it has
> not only some very old Unix software I wrote in the early 90s on it, but
> even newer stuff like the latest version of Samba and Apache.

Obviously an older distro will work fine (I still have my Slackware 1.2 around
here somewhere).  My point about being "useful" is that Pentium 133s are almost
literally free (I see them curbside every month) and for "free" you can usually
get all the way up to a 400MHz PII or 700 MHz PIII and those are much more useful.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)                    http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project?             http://www.mobygames.com/