Linux Floppy Install (Re: YATYRD)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 16:02:52 CDT 2005

> On 9/30/05, Ken Seefried <ken at seefried.com> wrote:
> > From: Doc Shipley <doc at mdrconsult.com>
> >
> > >   IIRC, Slack v3.3 took 54 1.44MB disks.
> >
> > 54 floppies?  Wow...you've got more patience than me.
>
> I did it *once*... after that, I loaded the install images on a DOS
> partition and did a partition-to-partition install (UMSDOS for those
> that remember).  Mind you, I downloaded 100% of it at 2400 baud.

My linux installation procedure (not quite on-topic here yet) was a
little less crazy. I have a CD-ROM drive, but it's an obscure Philips one
(chosen because, amazingly, I have a service manual for it), and Linux
doesn't support it.

I had a linux CD. I made the boot and root floppies from it, booted
linux, partitioned the hard disk to have a couple of linux filesystems, a
swap space, and, IIRC, 3 32Mbyte MS-DOS partitions (I needed those for my
old MS-DOS stuff). Bootled MS-DOS, copied the linux files from the CD-ROM
onto the MS-DOS filesystems, as much as would fit. Rebooted linux,
mounted the MS-DOS filesystems, copied the files over onto the linux
filesystem. Repeated about 5 times to get everything from the CD-ROM to
the hard disk (including, of course, all the sources). FInally, copied
the MS-DOS stuff onto said MS-DOS filesystems.