Cleaning Copper Contacts?

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Mon Oct 3 11:23:43 CDT 2005

Hi
 I recommend removing the oxides as non-abrasively
as you can. Try the eraser trick but for stubborn
oxides, I often use a stiff piece of wood, like
a popsicle stick and water. The oxide itself can
be abrasive so make sure the rinse the loose stuff
off.
 The green oxide can be from copper or nickel.
 Once you have the surface clean and dry, use a little
of the DC#4 to coat and protect it from future corrosion.
( See earlier post on subject of DC#4 )
Dwight

>From: "Martin Scott Goldberg" <wgungfu at csd.uwm.edu>
>
>>>My concern is I don't want to use any sort of cleaner that will harm
>>>whatever material the surrounding pcb is made of (as it appears to be made
>>>out of an older, thicker material than most modern PCB's I see).
>>
>>If the underlying material is copper, why not one of the ion-exchange instant
silverplate solutions like Cool-Amp or Caswell Silverplater?  They deposit a
very (one molecule) thin layer of silver that might do the trick for a
restoration.  Caswell also m
>arkets brush-plating electrolytic silver (and nickel, gold and a whole bunch of
other metals) kits if you'd like something more substantial..
(http://www.caswellplating.com).