QuantumLink RELOADED Update

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Wed Oct 5 09:29:51 CDT 2005

Just a quick note concerning the ongoing re-implementation of Q-Link:

We publicly unveiled the project at the Fall SWRAP EXPO in Chicago.  The
demo went well, with many trying the service for the first time in 11
years or more.

Prior to the EXPO, as noted in some places, we moved the server to a
commercial hosting facility.  Mark Ponter and associates of Legend Tech
  gave us space and bandwidth on their OC-3 connected co-located servers.

Following EXPO, I took a breather, and then started the next push,
preparinng the rest of the system for the November 5, 2005 20th
Anniversary.

Work has now shifted from functionality to beefing up the
infrastructure.  Code cleanup, refactoring, etc.

Last week, I added support for multiple screen names on an account (up
to 5), and also added a questionaire to obtain City and State (and
Country) information from users, to populate the "IDENTIFY" menu item in
Q-Link PEOPLE CONNECTION.  I also added a feature to allow changing uer
names on the fly without logging out of the service (something Q-Link
had originally, but was removed throughout much of the original
service's lifetime.)

This week, I am cleaning up the PEOPLE CONNECTION (chat) codebase,
trying to squash a last remaining bug or two.  I am also working on a
new feature to be hopefully unveiled this weekend.

Most of the base service is functional, with the exception of uploads
(just need time to implement), Having the system pick partners for
PEOPLE CONNECTION games,(not exactly sure how this worked, what the
dialogs said, etc. Anyone who has information, email me please), and the
Box Office (never worked in the real Q-Link either, but still...
Mainly, the menu items and message bases need to be cleaned up and
fleshed out.

Along the way, word was received on some of the Q-Link mailing lists,
and a number of "classic" Q-Linkers have arrived back on the system (Sir
Fitz, DonnaS4, KsLass, SkyLine, and the owner of Bonnie's Bar, BonnieB3,
to name a few).  The stories they tell of the original service are
worthy of a book (Qmoms, QDads, QMarriages, Qfamilies, Qbrothers,
Qsisters, the QBashes, etc.).

On a further note, as part of the 20th Anniversary festivities, the
system/service will be demonstrated by the reverse engineer guru
himself, Keith Henrickson, at the Vintage Computer Festival on November
5th and 6th in Mountain View, CA.  (http://www.vintage.org/2005/main/)
I hope you can either attend the festival or log on during that time.
We're lining up prizes and other fun activites for the anniversary.

A couple weekly items have started already.  Dark Vulcan has started
weekly TRIVIA games in the PEOPLE CONNECTION TRIVIA room on Tuesday
nights @8Central, and DonnaS4 has a ORPHANS room on Thursday nights for
the returning Q-Linkers.

We even have a 2 minute video "trailer" that Fixxer made.  He is working
on fleshing it out and making another.  Very impressive.  We'll post
when they are ready.

More help is always appreciated.  If you have memories, would like to
help in development, or just want to staff a room, please contact us.

More information is at:  www.quantum-link.org

--
Jim Brain, Brain Innovations
brain at jbrain.com                                http://www.jbrain.com