ASR-32 troubleshooting

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 6 13:50:47 CDT 2005

> I just found that if I hold down the third typebar from the rear the
> correct characters come out.  Any ideas what's happening here?

Assuming those are the rails the carriage runs over, those are
effectively a 'data bus' carrying the bits of the incoming character
(converted to parallel from the incoming serial bitstream by the cam
mechanism at the rear left of the typing unit). For some reason, one bit
is set that shouldn't be. Either there's something playing up in that
receiver cam unit, or the transmitter side is setting a bit that it
shouldn't be.

Is this an ASR32 (5 bit) or ASR33 (7 bit) machine?