8" floppy system needed to recover old game data

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 7 01:15:59 CDT 2005

On 10/6/2005 at 10:26 PM Fred Cisin wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Scott Stevens wrote:
>>  The highest density 8" media I ever had was DSDD, or
>> 720K on the big 8" surface.
>
>approximately 1.2M

What surprised me is the way that the extra 3.5" data space was obtained.    Always by boosting the data rate (mandating the need for new coating formulations).  Never by increasing the number of tracks or changing the encoding method.

The 2.88MB DSED diskettes were ridiculous--expensive AND unreliable.

But point taken--the attractiveness of the floppy medium is that it's CHEAP.  I've owned several LS-120 drives, but have never purchased a 120 MB SuperDisk.

Cheers,
Chuck