TEAC FD-55GFR = Quad Density?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Oct 7 18:34:17 CDT 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Joe R. wrote:
>   I found a pair of these drives and picked them up since my reference said
> that they were quad density drives AND they had DS-QD disks in them.
> However I looked on the net and found that everyone including Teac's site
> says that they are HD (1.2Mb) drives. Which are they?

BOTH.
The 55F is "720K" only; 55G and GFR are 1.2M.
The 55GFR is a reliable and versatile drive.
It is not so good with hard-sectored, or NO-index reading.

> I THINK these have a
> jumper that chages the speed from 360 RPM to 300RPM. Will this make the
> drive a QD drive? I thought the heads needed to be differnt since the
> magnetic media on the disks have different permeability.

The difference between 1.2M and "720K", sometimes called "QUAD density" by
the marketing people, are 360 v 300 RPM, 250K v 500K sata transfer rate,
and different current levels at the heads (controlleable on the
interface).
They are both 96TPI.

To do "quad" in an "HD" drive requires stepping at 96TPI, but the data
transfer rate, and current levels at "360K" levels.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com