MPX-16 census

Tue Oct 11 16:29:04 CDT 2005

> I've never heard of anybody making more than double-sided PCBs at
> home (I would love to be proved wrong!).

I can't *prove* you wrong.  But I've spoken with someone who claimed to
have done it, and when I started asking questions, talked a good enough
line that I found it believable.  As she described it, you need
epoxy/fibreglass mix, which you cast a thin sheet of.  You then sand it
smooth, copper-plate it, and etch.  Slap on another coat of epoxy and
fibreglass, let it cure, sand it smooth, copper-plate, and etch.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

The hard part is of course quality control (and plated-through vias,
which you can get somewhere with by drilling holes before doing the
last copper-plating).  And registration of the layers.  But with
patience and attention to detail...after all, anyone doing this is
considering time to be worth a great deal less than money, or the job
would simply be shipped off to a commercial pcb fab house. :)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca