Intel 80C186/80C188 Evaluation Board? Re: Single Board Computers

Gil Carrick gilcarrick at comcast.net
Tue Oct 11 20:18:42 CDT 2005

I understand that Linksys routers run Linux and they have no disk drive and
no console, so I think your definition is not very useful.

An OS does not require secondary storage. The Palm OS prior to release 5
assumed there was no secondary storage. Every program is always in the real
memory space. The Knoppix distro of Linux is quite happy running on a RAM
disk. I have a laptop that I boot Knoppix on that has a broken hard drive.
It runs just fine. While it boots from the CD-ROM, it uncompresses
everything you run to a RAM drive and runs it from there. It will also boot
from a USB drive.

The closest that the router has to a console is that it supports HTTP on
port 80 so you configure it with a browser. A nice GUI. The router does not
require a console. For that matter, many servers run "headless".

Gil