Need a driver: Intel PCMCIA Flash card

Simon Fryer fryers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 03:51:02 CDT 2005

All,

On 10/12/05, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/05, Simon Fryer <fryers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am guessing, by looking at the size of the card, this is a Type II
> > card. Most PCMCIA card readers fitted to laptops and PCs will only
> > read Type III PCMCIA memory cards.
>
> Perhaps you have an off-by-one error?

My memory appears to have that off-by-one error. The two cards I have
on my desk that require the special reader didn't have anything to say
what type they are.

> Most recent laptops only have a single Type II slot, but many Pentium
> laptops have a "dual Type II/Type III socket" meaning you can use two
> Type II cards simultaneously or one Type III (the thickness of the
> card blocks the upper slot)
>
> Type I cards were strange and most semi-modern stuff doesn't support
> them, AFAIK.

Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh