GDS Tapeouts solved...

Curt @ Atari Museum curt at atarimuseum.com
Fri Oct 14 15:44:55 CDT 2005

I have some former Atari engineer contacts at Tekmos, they supposedly
can back out GDS' to Verilog, so if it isn't too painful or costly a
process and it could be stepped back to where the core could be
resynthesised into modern ASIC or even just FPGA's this could be very
interesting.   I have some tapeouts for AMY and SILVER which were a
sound and graphics chipset that Atari Corp. research had been working on
in 1983-4 that, according to notes and speaking with the engineers, was
a chipset that could've blown the doors off of the Amiga and just about
anything else at the time.     It would be interesting to see if these
chips could be resurrected and examined.   I know AMY did in fact work,
I have a proto 65XE computer with one wired onto it and Sight & Sound in
the Midwest had gotten the chip working and in fact had an AMY-2 chip
designed as well.

I'm going to convert some of these to ASCII just to examine in the
meantime.    I'm also going to do a block view of the tapes again, one
block at a time and see if there is anything else besides the GDSII and
DB files on them.     I have a bunch of Silos TDX simulation test tapes,
those may have some good info to yeild as well.

Curt