OT: Language for the ages

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Fri Oct 14 16:35:55 CDT 2005

>>>>> "Chuck" == Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> writes:

 Chuck> So, here's my reasoning.  What was the programming atmosphere
 Chuck> like in 1975?  ...

 Chuck> All this time FORTRAN has survived.  Still a great language
 Chuck> for number crunching, it's withstood attempts by X3J3 to make
 Chuck> it a completely opaque mess of features.  By and large, if you
 Chuck> write a program in FORTRAN IV or 77, you can find a compiler
 Chuck> for just about every machine ever made.

So has RPG, by the way.  My sister makes a very comfortable living
writing in that language.

	paul