Compute magazine

Holger Veit holger.veit at ais.fraunhofer.de
Sun Oct 16 10:16:33 CDT 2005

Hi,
for quite some time I have some magazines of COMPUTE ("Club Of
Microprocessor Programmers, Users and Technical Experts"), a gazette
sponsored by National Semiconductor, lying around which I consider
worthwhile to be conserved for the past. The date I am talking about is
around 1975..1977.

Some questions:
1. I have only some issues, namely V2N7...V2N12, V3N4...V3N7. Does
anyone have other issues (and is willing to scan or copy those)? I'd be
very interested in this epoch.

2. Scanning: You find a sample issue at
http://www.ais.fraunhofer.de/~veit/v2n7.pdf (2MB). This was scanned B&W
400dpi, stored as TIF and converted with Acrobat. My problem is that
even with this some listing pages are barely readable, see page 3 for
example. This is probably because of lack of contrast; the magazine is
printed on light brown paper with dark brown text. If one scans in color
with 600dpi (as in sample http://www.ais.fraunhofer.de/~veit/3x.pdf,
2MB) this will result in much larger files - the raw TIF is 95MB on my
disk, which is not a diskspace issue for me, but for downloaders; expect
a single issue to be 40MB and more in size.
Do the "professional scanners" here, like Al, have a recommendation for
resolving this?

Regards
Holger