Compute magazine (retry)

John Allain allain at panix.com
Tue Oct 18 11:14:20 CDT 2005

> Do the "professional scanners" here, like Al, have a recommendation
> for resolving this?

What you have to watch is the black/white threshold level on the
lower contrast lettering, like your page 5.  I like to hand-set that
threshold on pages like this, then wipe around with an eraser
to clear out the increased noiselevel artifacts.
Of course I defer to Al on issues of scanning.
I guess what we all need is a way to do automatic noise
suppression, very analagous to digitizing music.

John A.