Short review of $550 power cord plus a new SWTPC 6800

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Oct 22 14:39:58 CDT 2005

On 10/22/2005 at 2:25 PM John Foust wrote:

>At 02:12 PM 10/22/2005, Fred Cisin wrote:
>>Exam question:  what is actually measured by those numeric displays?
>
>The absence or presence of jumpers on the little daughterboard,
>encoded as digits?

Well, in some cases, the presence or absence of a "turbo" signal from the
motherboard; in others, whether or not the "turbo" switch itself is
pressed.  I've had several "turbo" systems with functioning "turbo"
displays (i.e., the display changes with the switch setting) that run at
exactly the same clock regardless of the turbo switch.

Very akin to those cheap import "21 jewel" watches, where most of the
jewels are simply glued on somewhere on the movement.  It isn't a lie, but
it's a bit of a whopper.

This whole business reminds me of an old scifi short story where a fellow
wakes up 100 years in the future and finds that car speedometers go to 350
mph--but start somewhere around 200 at a dead stop.

Cheers,
Chuck