FPGA VAX update

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Oct 23 16:28:33 CDT 2005

On 10/23/2005 at 4:09 PM Patrick Finnegan wrote:

>Michael Sokolov declared on Sunday 23 October 2005 03:39 pm:

>SimH is very portable and runs on very non-PeeCee hardware, including
>just about any UNIX that has a non-ancient version of gcc available.  It
>may not be the fastest emu out there, but IMO it is the best one
>available, overall.  And yes, I too appreciate having source code
>available to me to hack on if I need/want to.

Second that on SimH.  I used it to decode the mysteries of WPS I--the other
emulators I tried wouldn't run WPS.  And I used the 1620 emulator to test
out the 1620 "Bottles of Beer" code.   Behaved exactly as I thought it
would.

The only major gripe I have with SimH is that there's no really universal
way to preload memory and registers (LOAD on the 1620 emulation loads the
line printer carriage-control tape).

Before I got my MITS 8800 put together, I emulated the 8080 on a CDC Cyber
74 so I could write and assemble code and have it ready for the MITS box.
So emulation is very useful on both ends of the life cycle.

Cheers,
Chuck