Z80 Telescope Controller (was Homebrew newsgroups / forums?)

gtulloch at shaw.ca gtulloch at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 26 23:36:51 CDT 2005

Well, ok, in that case ...

I'm building a Z80 based microcontroller as a telescope controller, to
run a few stepper motors, calculate and correct for periodic errors as
well as XYZ errors in the mount. The driver circuit is done
(http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/cot/steppercircuit.html), and
currently runs off a DOS app which uses the parallel port to pulse
the motor windings. However, I prefer not to use a dedicated
DOS PC so I'd like to put a Z80 in front of the driver with an RC
circuit connected to the NMI so I know how long the duration between
interrupts is and can thus calc the steps required to track. For historic
reasons the code will be written in FORTH - a PC connected via serial
will do all the heavy lifting as far as telling the Z80 where to point
and how. Comments on the veracity of this architecture welcome!

I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer for me, starting
with the following: I have a Z80A and a 4 mhz TTL clock
oscillator - I'm wondering if it would be ok to connect the clock
directly to the CPU or is it wise to connect it via a parallel or
serial resonant oscillator circuit like those described here:

http://www.z80.info/uexosc.htm

Why be so elaborate? The data sheets for the oscillator doesn't say
"Make sure you connect via a parallel or serial resonent oscillator
circuit!"

Thanks for any light you can shed on this, Google hasn't been helpful.
I have references that do it both ways without explanation so I'm
confused!

Regards,
  Gord