Yet another idea for recovering the data from Series80 tapes

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Oct 30 18:16:44 CST 2005

On 10/30/2005 at 6:33 PM Vassilis Prevelakis wrote:

>I have been trying to get this thing for ages, and I couldn't. In the end
>I found this
>        www.sprague-magnetics.com/library/sprgmag.pdf
>which works the same way. Initially I thought I could simply spray the
>stuff on the tape and optically read the bits, but its too messy.

Products such as Magnasee and Visomag used a Freon TF base and so were
affected by the ban on chlorinated fluorochlorocarbons.  I've used Kyread;
it's pretty good and still available.  You can get it in spray and in a
dropper bottle (I'd recommend the spray--once the dropper bottles are open,
the liquid will evaporate quickly.  I don't know if the firm's still in
business, but they're still listed in the Madison WI yellow pages:

Kyros Corporation
5428 Lake Mendota Drive
Madison, WI 53705
(608) 238-3587