VINTAGE COMPUTER FESTIVAL 8.0 NOV 5-6

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 08:50:42 CDT 2005

Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
>>>Hmm, how far is California from deepest Minnesota? I'll still be in
>>>the right country then at least ;-) Could well be road trip time...
>>
>>Google says 2300mi from Hibbing, MN to Mountain View.  Plane tickets
>>would be a 'better idea'.  At 30mpg and $3/gal, that's $230 each way
>>for gas alone.
>

> I don't want to discourage Jules from trying, but any plane trip out of
> MN is going to cost at least as much as driving (jet fuel prices are going
> through the roof).  The trade-off is (if by plane) you get there faster
> or, (if by car) you get to see a lot of America.

Hmm, I'd definitely prefer to drive I think - way more fun that way :) I
could buy a car and then sell it again afterwards as that'll likely work
out cheaper than renting (hmm, need to check on my insurance though - I
know it covers me for any vehicle in the UK but not sure if that extends
to overseas trips or not). I found a '66 Mustang the other day which I'm
seriously tempted with...

Only spanner in the works is that it's the girlfriend's birthday on the
6th and I don't think she's going to be too happy if I'm halfway across
the country at the time! Sellam, any chance you can move the dates? ;)

> I wish the airline industry in the States would finally just collapse and
> then rebuild itself into something more viable.  I'm trying to get a
> flight to Vienna and prices are all over the place...above $2,000!

It's a worldwide thing I think - or maybe just affecting flights to the
US as well as from. The prices to MN from the UK were horrible too.

cheers

Jules