CP/M archive to image 8" CP/M floppies

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Sep 17 15:03:50 CDT 2005

On 9/17/2005,  Barry Watzman  wrote:

>Since I'm not aware of any CP/M programs that did copy protection or any
>other type of manipulation that would require an exact disk image, I don't
>really see the drawback of this approach.

Excellent point!  Since the CP/M world was so fragmented among hardware vendors, manufacturers wanting to protect their software simply tied it to a specific host hardware (e.g., SuperCalc 2 special trade-up edition for the Osborne).  There may possibly be an exception for one of the very common platforms, such as TRS-80, but I'm not aware of one.

Cheers,
Chuck