Restoring (and I do mean 'Restoring!') Plastic

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Sep 25 03:39:27 CDT 2005

On 9/24/2005 at 10:36 PM Paxton Hoag wrote:

>They did use a dual grinder set up with, I think, 8 inch wheels, one a
>fabric buffer and the other felt? It was about 12 years ago and the people
>went on to LA to do AT&Ts surplus.
>
>Mechanical polishing is common with plastics.
>
>It was a quick and dirty process for them. They were refurbing slightly
>yellowed desk sets cheaply, not sure what plastic it was.

When you find out how to polish HDPE, please post the method ot the list.  Most telephone desk sets are made of a very different polymer (ABS? polycarbonate?  ).

For a good example of HDPE, you need go no further than your wastebasket or garbage can--or the liner bag in a box of corn flakes.  I've tried to mechanically polish the stuff, but it's soft and any abrasive is easily embedded in the surface and it tends to get "stringy"  if it gets warm under the buffing wheel.

Cheers,
Chuck