difference between LSI-11 CPU's M7264 and M7270

Gooijen, Henk GOOI at oce.nl
Mon Sep 26 06:42:48 CDT 2005

Thanks Pete.
I had a look at the backplane yesterday, but did not see an Hxxxx number.
There was a xx-yyyyy (?) digit number, but I will check again this evening.

   <------ M7270 ------> <------ M8044 ------> ==================
   <------ empty ------> <------ M7940 ------> |  o o  __ __ __ |
   <------ empty ------> <------ empty ------> |       ~~ ~~ ~~ |
   <------ empty ------> <------ empty ------> ==================

The figure is as seen from the front side when the front cover is removed.
The "art work" shows the panel with the switches and LEDs at the right.
To remove a board from the cage you must pull the board "out of the
screen", so the magenta handles are at the front side.

The FieldGuide says that a few lines are used for something else, but
I expect (hope) that the M7270 and the M7264 usage of all connections
is identical.
It makes perfect sense that I will have to adjust the base address of
the memory on the M8044 if I install the M7264.  I will take an other
look at the memory board with the new information from you.
I will dig up the MicroNotes!
It will be interesting to see what the system does when I power it up.
The console is connected to the M7940 ... I hope to see a prompt!

Regarding the M8018 WCS option: is this "just" a chip, like FIS or the
big CIS one? I thought it was a board (module) as the M number suggests.
Anybody here has a M8018 WCS and can tell more about it?

  thanks,
- Henk, PA8PDP.