Tristate Buffer Output if Input is High-Z?

Tony Duell ard at
Thu Sep 29 14:13:12 CDT 2005

> It sounds like the tristate buffers don't do exactly what I would 
> like, although I think I can make it work with more logic in front of 
> the control line for the buffer.
> However, doing a bit more research, it looks like what I really need 
> is a Transmission Gate.   The important difference is that a 
> transmission gate will pass the input regardless of its state, so L 
> passes L, H passes H and Z passes as Z.   The disadvantage is that if 
> you have a noisy signal, the TG doesn't clean it up at all the way a 
> TB will.
> The catch is that I cannot find one listed anywhere as a part that 
> one can actually buy.  Are transmission gates purchasable parts?  Or 
> are they just something they discussed in my VLSI textbook?

An analogue switch IC is a similar device, and those do exist. The 
problem is finding one that will switch quickly enough (I would guess in 
a few nanoseconds) for this application. 

Also remmeber that analogue switches don't buffer the signal, you don't 
get an increased drive current if you use one.


More information about the cctech mailing list