identifying PC Simms

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 29 18:40:05 CDT 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 01:35:45 -0400 (EDT)
der Mouse <mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca> wrote:

> > I have 16 30-pin simms left over from various past incarnations of
my
> > PCs, and I'm trying to figure out what I've got.  I no longer have a
> > motherboard to test them, so I have no idea what is what.
>
> > Is there any not-to-painless way to figure out what I've got?
>
> Don't bother, they're totally worthless - I'll take 'em off your hands
> for you. :-)
>
> Seriously, I don't have much left that uses 30-pin memory, but I do
> have a few - including one board my only reason for keeping is that
> it's got lots of ISA slots....

I have enough Lunchbox Sparcs (IPC) that use 30 pin simms.  Also a few
SparcStation 2's that use them.  And my SE/30's and several other Mac
IIs.  But I have a relatively large supply of 4 meg 30 pin simms to meet
my needs.

I have one 486 motherboard all mounted on a fixture that I use to test
RAM for size and functionality.  I chose that particular board because
it has both 30 and 72 pin sockets.  Sad, the 'mere' uses that a '486
motherboard is put to today.  I remember when I was the only person I
knew with a '486 system at home.

A few times in the past I've googled the part number on individual chips
on a SIMM to multiply out what the total memory on the SIMM would be.