RL drive lubrication

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 16:55:51 CDT 2006

> > Sorry if some of my questions were 'going over the bleeding obvious'...
> > All too often I've found I've made assumptions about what the other chap
> > has or has not done, and wasted a lot of time going along the wrong path.
> >
> No worries.  It's good to have someone look over my shoulder helping to
> make sure I'm not my usual complete idiot!  :)  Thanks!

I could tell you many stories of times when I've spent hours looking for
a fault only to find I've not plugged it into the mains, or there's no
fuse in the plug, or....

> >> Excellent advice.  I will try this.  I do have a scope, though I'm more
> >>

> > I think the printset is on Bitsavers (if not, I have it). If you can't
> > find the right point to look at this signal, let me know, I'll get out
> > the prints and tell you what pin of what IC to look at.
> >
> I'll check bitsavers.  If I can't find what I need, I'll come back to you.

>From memory, there are 3 versions of the logic board used in the RL01.
The first oen is RL01-only, the other 2 can be used either in an RL01 or
an RL02 with a jumper change. The last of those has many more testpoints
than the earlier one.

There are significant electronic differences between the first one and
the other 2. My RL01 printset only covers the first version, for the
others I look at the RL02 printset.

The pocket service guide (is that on Bitsavers?) is probably the best
reference to tell the boards apart. I have that that booklet too, and can
tell you what to look for if you have problems.

> > Another 'obvious' question : You have made sure the head lock is not
> > fitted on the 'dirty drives'? That would stop it going ready.
> >

> Another valid question.  Yes, indeed, the head/actuator locking plate
> has been rotated to the 'un-locked' position.  This might be the place
> to mention that these two 'dirty' drives had the heads already locked at
> the time of acquisition.  I'm doubtful that they have been used in many,
> many years, since this indicates that the former owner had not tried them.
>
> I wonder....could the heads, having been in the retracted position for
> so long (years and years), be kind of 'glued' in place by dust/grime/dry
> grease, thus no READY indication?  Hmm...a question: is it advisable to

It's possible.

> move the heads manually to test this, or am I better off keeping my fat
> fingers out of the head actuator area (which I've religiously done to date)?

What you want to avoid is touching the heads themselves (obviously) or
letting the heads touch each other. What I would do is put a clean,
folded, lens tissue between the head 'buttons', then carefully move the
carriage towards the spindle. Try to keep the heads on the loading ramp,
but the tissue should prevent any damage if you can't.