IBM hercules setup pics

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Fri Apr 7 16:29:36 CDT 2006

In article <001601c65a85$112bc830$6800a8c0 at BILLING>,
    "Jay West" <jwest at classiccmp.org>  writes:

> There is a PC box running unix with the hercules emulator on it.

What's the "hercules emulator"?  Is this emulating a Hercules graphics
card?  (Doubtful, but I thought I'd ask!)

> [...] Of course, it's just not the same unless you're
> running a real IBM 3270 style terminal... so... the PC also has a token ring
> card that is connected to a 8223 MAU via type 1 cables.

Speaking of 3270 style terminals, I picked up a 3180 terminal.  I like
the spring-loaded rising pedestal on it!  However, I see that it
doesn't talk normal RS-232 like most terminals, it has a coax style
connector on the back.

Does this mean I need to get a token ring setup as you describe above
in order to get it to talk?

If yes, what would I need to get?  Assume I know nothing... because
that's accurate :).
             Pilgrimage: Utah's annual demoparty
                <http://pilgrimage.scene.org>