External enclosure for 5-1/4 drive...

Gene Buckle geneb at simpits.com
Sun Apr 9 12:26:50 CDT 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Believe it or not, Teac DID list a 5.25" SCSI drive in its catalog.  I
> could dig for it, but I doubt that many were made.
>
> I don't know what the OP wanted to do with the 5.25" (let's assume) floppy.
>  But most SCSI floppies (like the FD-55S) are dumb as a stump.   They have
> sector addressing, etc. all nicely hardwired in.  On most, you can change
> the block size, but that's it.  That's certainly the case with my old Brier
> Tech. 20 MB SCSI floppy/floptical.  It'd be okay for DOS/*nix stuff, but
> tough luck on those Osborne I floppies.

I have to apologize to you all, I wasn't specific enough.  The
discussion has been a great read though. :)

I've got a PC with a limited space case.  They didn't even include room
for a 3-1/2" floppy drive in it.  I'd like to be able to read DOS and
non-native format floppy disks with this machine as part of doing an
update to the retroarchive.org site.  Instead of building a second
machine, I'd like to be able to find a way to interface a Teac FD-55GFR
via USB.

Barring that, I'd like to know where I can find a desktop ATX form
factor case that's got bays deep enough for a standard sized floppy drive.

Thanks all!

g.