RL drive lubrication

J Blaser oldcpu at rogerwilco.org
Tue Apr 11 12:46:56 CDT 2006

In a recent acquisition of several 11/23 systems I was fortunate to
receive four RL01
drives, being two sets of Unit 0 and Unit 1.

One set of these drives were very dirty/dusty, and by the looks of the
course filters
(which were deteriorating badly in all drives) and the accumulations in
the power
supply and plenum areas, I have to say this set was used in at least an
ISO Class 10
Million level (not so) clean room environment!    The other drive set
was in
pretty good condition, cleanliness wise.  I replaced all four course
filters, and
checked the absolute filters, which were actually okay even in the dirty
drives.

Because all of these have been powered off for many years, I opened them
up and
pulled the power supply for a session with my capacitor reformation rig
after
cleanup.  With that successfully accomplished, and finding that all
voltages were in
line, everything was reassembled.  During the wait for the capacitors, I
cleaned the
interior pretty well with a vacuum and Windex.  As a side note, three of
the drives
still had the platter brushes installed, and since I already had each
drive opened
for power supply checkout, I went ahead and removed the brush assemblies.

Fortunately, the 'clean' set of drives are now fully functional, having
been tested
with one of the 11/23s.

Unfortunately, after mounting and LOADing a known good disk cartridge,
neither drive
from the 'dirty' set will show READY after spinup.  Though the details
are a bit
different, each drive emits a very noticeable sound, kind of a
whining/rumbling sound
(not squealing), that I think is indicative of dry bearings in the
spindle, the
spindle motor, or both.  I wonder if dragging bearings are preventing
the drive from
becoming READY due to uneven RPM?

I've scoured the online documents for possible information regarding RL
drive
lubrication, but I can't come up with anything that suggests 'in the field'
lubrication options.  The RL01/RL02 Maintenance Guide talks about
disassembly and
Field Replaceable Units, but nothing about lubrication.

So a few questions for those in the know:

Could dragging bearings be the cause of no READY indication?

Has anyone had any experience lubricating the appropriate assemblies in
an RL drive?
If so, what lubricant is recommended, where is it applied, and how?

Removing the motor for lubrication is no problem, but I wonder if
removing the
spindle assembly would then necessitate a head alignment once it's back
in place?
I'm not sure I'm ready to go through that process just yet!  Still, if I
need to do
it, I need to do it.

Any advice is welcome.

Assuming I can get this resolved, I'm in the market for a set of (2) RL
connecting
cables and a terminator.  Anyone with some spares that they'd like an
offer on,
please contact me off-list.

Thanks.