IRIX 5.3 system: any access?

Ryan Blair blairrya at msu.edu
Fri Apr 14 16:22:29 CDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:11:15 -0700
jim stephens <jwstephens at msm.umr.edu> wrote:

> do you mount cdroms on linux, or remove hard drives from an sgi
> system, move them to
> linux for the netinstall?  If you store the data from some source and
> serve it up over the
> network from a linux system, then it is stored on the linux system
> with a linux supported
> file type.

I can mount the CDROMs, images of the CDROMs, hard drives ... whatever.
As far as netinstall goes, I either loop-mount the CD images and
NFS-export them, or I mount and copy everything off of them and export
that. I suppose if I had all the install stuff on an EFS-formatted
disk, it wouldn't be much trouble to pull it out of an SGI and mount it.

> if you do what I mentioned above, pull a formated drive from an SGI
> system and put it on
> a linux system which is on a PC, then there will have to be some
> allowance made for the
> fact that there is no PC partition table, but just the raw file
> system starting at block 0.

Well, Linux also has support for SGI partition tables ... or, you could
toss the mount option seek=x blocks if you know where the partition
you're looking for starts (and you don't have SGI partition table
support compiled into your kernel). This works fine with both CDs and
disks.

> whatever is on a cdrom usually requires a different file system
> driver than would be used to
> access the file system on a hard drive device, or a layer that deals
> with partitions, etc
> which a different for a cdrom than for a hard disk block device.
> similar goes on with
> accessing usb sticks as block devices.

Um ... no? Block device is a block device is a block device. If it's
EFS-formatted, it doesn't make much difference to the Linux EFS support.
Not that I've ever heard of EFS on a USB stick ...

-Ryan