8080 Assembler-Text Editor (ATE)

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Mon Apr 17 20:27:49 CDT 2006

Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> Me,  I wish they'd made those common TTL 7-segment decoder/driver chips
> display something more like hex when you got into codes past 9...

Some do.  I recall feeling "giddy" when I had a design with
individual control of the segments.  Sure, there was another
(trivial) step for the display multiplexor to perform
(mapping "codes" to segments) but we were no longer stuck
with "mode 79", "mode 35", etc.

Of course, things were only marginally better for the user
as many of the (ahem) "words" that you could display
were really pathetic!  :-(  But, PGD's were neat looking.
Almost as neat as nixies!