8080 Assembler-Text Editor (ATE)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Thu Apr 20 12:40:29 CDT 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 12:03 am, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 4/19/2006 at 11:34 PM Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> >> But a Z80 *won't* run 808[05] code.
>
> Well, a Z80 will run 8085 code that limits itself to 8080 instructions.
> But the 8085 has two documented instructions (RIM SIM) that the 8080
> doesn't have--

Yeah,  I remember those two...

> and a few more "undocumented" instructions (nonetheless used by many
> embedded programs) that neither the 8080 nor the Z80 has.

I remember some real early magazine articles,  and have since found a bit of
stuff online,  that talked about undocumented opcodes for the z80,  but I've
not run across that info for anything else.  And it seems to depend a lot on
what brand of chip,  etc. so I've never been really tempted to use them.

> Initially I thought that the Rabbit was a good idea--until I started to
> program it.  What did you do with (insert a list of instructions)?   And an
> interesting bug or two.  Feh.

I haven't yet looked at that,  got enough going on here to keep me busy...

-
M Dakin