IBM Bus & Tag channel protocol specs?

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Apr 20 16:19:37 CDT 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 15:08, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> jim stephens wrote:
> > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> >> Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >> You do know that the ARTIC960 parallel channel adapters Just
> >> Work(tm) in AIX, right?
> >>
> >> Peace...  Sridhar
> >
> > are the for hooking an aix box as a device to the mainframe, or
> > vice versa?
> >
> > I believe there was discussion on the Hercules group, and there was
> > no support for running Bus/Tag devices from AIX.  It is meant to
> > allow an AIX box to do something like support operations as a
> > communications controller or other to the Mainframe.
>
> That's not the only configuration that works.  If you're running
> mainframe OS on a P/390, the P/390 can address the ARTIC960 as a
> parallel channel inside the OS.

If I either the P/390 or ARTIC960 were easily/cheaply available, I might
consider this.  But, I would rather create something that can be
cheaply duplicated, and not be fixed to a host hardware platform.

I'd rather run Hercules on a Linux PC (or some UNIX box), or use a real
S/390 (or ES/9000) that I've got than bother with acquiring an
expensive, slow, and hard to find P/390 or R/390.

Pat