earliest graphics display system in your collection?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 23 16:05:56 CDT 2006

> was replaced by the daylight-view CRT by the end of the war, and projection
> CRTs were available (Skiatron?), reliable projection TV sets made there
> appearance in the UK shortly after WW2 (using a 2.5" tube with a 25KV EHT,
> and a very clever optical unit).

>From what I've read, that optical unit was basically a schmidt telescope
in reverse, with a 45-degree mirror so it could be bent to fit in the
cabinet....

I've also hrarf plenty of bad things about them from engineers of the day
who said they were a right pain to set up properly, and that although
there were protections circuits, it was not at all uncommong for a line
to be burnt in the CRT phosphor if one of the deflection generators
failed.

Somewhere I've got some service information on the White-Ibbotson (?spel)
set. Setting up that optical unit seems to be somewhat 'interesting' to
say the least...