DUNGEON

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Tue Apr 25 12:27:25 CDT 2006

"Eric F." <elf at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Eric F. wrote:
>
>  > Actually, I saw (and used) the original ZORK running on an SDS
>  > (later XDS) Sigma 7 computer (the actual ARPAnet machine name
>  > was MIT-DMS).
>
> Apparently I fired off my original reply prematurely.  The original MIT
> machine running ZORK (MIT-DMS) was, in fact, a PDP-10.  But I'm quite sure
> that one of the other machines back there (i.e., MIT-AI, MIT-MC, or MIT-ML)
> was an SDS Sigma machine (or even an SDS-940).
>
> Sorry for my mis-informed post. :0

I had an account on MIT-AI, and that was definitely a PDP-10. I'm very
sure that MIT-MC also was a PDP-10. MIT-ML however I don't know about.

As for ZORK, it was definitely written on a PDP-10. Infocom rented time
on a PDP-10 for quite a while. I know I've also seen mentioned somewhere
at one time that they even had their own -2020 for a while, but I'm not
sure I remember correctly.

If ZORK were ever to run on any other machine that machine first and
foremost would have to have MDL. You know if SDS had that?
Second, ZORK used a lot of memory. Unless the OS supported virtual
memory, and a fairly large address space, that would also stop it.
Appearantly ZORK on the PDP-10 needed over 600K to run (if that is bytes
or 36-bit words I don't know, but I suspect bytes).

	Johnny

email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books