ISO: SGI VW320 parts

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Fri Apr 28 12:27:59 CDT 2006

James Rice wrote:
> I remember that now.  My 320 is IDE only.  i don't have a SCSI card for it.
>
> On 4/27/06, Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:08:16 -0500
>> "James Rice" <james.rice at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think that the Adaptec card for the 320/540 had special firmware.
>> IIRC the VW wants a QLogic ISP10[248]0 because they are supported by the
>> main board firmware or somthing like this.

IIRC, the board's "BIOS" (firmware) announced itself (i.e.
a banner typical of most adaptec controllers on bootstrap)
and then just hung -- as if the controller was probing
the SCSI bus and waiting for replies from (nonexistent)
devices on that bus.

So, it looks like the VW's firmware at least transfers control
*to* the card's BIOS to some extent.  But, perhaps doesn't
have the right framework in place for the card and it to
coordinate their activities?  I don't care if I can't *boot*
from a SCSI device.  But, I would like for the bootstrap
PROCESS to continue and let Windows decide to recognize
the card or not...

I.e. I could understand if the VW's firmware had something
in it's PCI enumeration algorithm that just refused to talk
to anything that it didn't recognize ("support").

More to the point:  does the VW place any other restrictions
(aside from 3.3V which the PCI connectors mechanically "enforce")
on the choice of cards that I can stuff in the box?