OT: Need Unix tech in Springfield, Missouri area

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Wed Aug 2 13:32:27 CDT 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Maybe it's been mentioned (apologies if so), but can one simply tar using
> the printer port as an output device?  Capturing the output shouldn't be
> too difficult.

Yes, I mentioned that a few posts back -- though Jim reminded me
that tar doesn't always handle symlinks well.

It seems the most portable way of dealing with this problem on
a variety of boxes -- since all you need on the "source" is
the ability to cat(1) the tarball to a printer port.

Unfortunately, you then need *one* box with hardware suitable
to capture the incoming bytestream (i.e. *not* an SPP).

Ideally, the source box would have MD5 or some other hash
available so you could gain some reassurance that the
received image agreed with the sent image.