Alpha C compilers (WAS Not classic, but free: HP-UX (and the B2000)

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 3 14:29:25 CDT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Scott Quinn wrote:

> >Wow, great!  I sure wish HP would make the Alpha C/C++ compilers available
> >gratis.  Maybe this is the start of a trend.
>
> Not sure what you mean here: Compaq C/C++ for AlphaLinux is free
> already, and Alpha C/C++ for Tru64 and OpenVMS are both included in the
> relevant hobbyist programs.

I have a couple of versions of Tru64 hobbyist and don't recall having a
license for cxx!  I'll have to fire up my trusty UP2000 and check again.
Years ago, we paid > $4k for the cxx license at work, IIRC.

> IBM xlC/xlC++ and SGI MIPSpro would be very
> nice (although Apple's contributions to GCC for POWER/PowerPC have made
> it infinitely better).

My paychecks come from IBM, so I have become very fond of xlC/C++ (aka
VAC) but it certainly ain't free - not even for employees <g>.  I thought
I saw something announced about a free xlC for PPC linux - am I imagining
this?

> I saw on USENET a blurb about "repurposing" the
> included MIPSpro kernel compiler as a general-purpose C compiler with
> the addition of a few symlinks, and the word on the street is that
> MIPSpro 7.4 could, ahem, possibly be used for a few times while one is
> trying to locate the regrettably misplaced license code, with only a nag
> screen coming up.

I'd appreciate knowing more about this.  Private e-mail works <hint,
hint>.

> I'm trying to get into the dev program, though. We'll see what happens.

That's the cleanest way, granted.