Microkernels (WAS Re: New to the list)

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Sat Aug 5 09:30:27 CDT 2006

 The reason I brought up System 10 is that it is the "best" microkernel implementation I have at this point
(the other one is a OPENSTEP box, substatntially older). Current Macs share much more with PeeCees
than SGI IRISes and Sun SPARCs, so there is most likely a non-insignificant amount of suboptimal hardware
that eats processor cycles like a cow eats grass to do things that a better arch. hands off and is done with.

I was hoping a OSF/1-DUNIX-Tru64 user would pop in a bit more about that platform (hoping to pick up most
of a AS4100 to try it out on soon). It uses the OSF/1 Mach-based system but on well-designed few-compromises
hardware.