New to the list

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Sat Aug 5 13:59:51 CDT 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 8/5/2006 at 2:12 PM Ray Arachelian wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I got a few old boxen here too.  I need to figure out a use for
>> the old P100.  I do have a 486 and a 386 somewhere in the closet too.  I
>> think I have some ancient 8 port serial card somewhere that's ISA, or
>> perhaps I can use it with a catweasel as a data transfer machine with
>> 5.25" floppies or such.
>
> They're fine for copying floppies, data transfer, handling tapes, etc.  My
> old standby for most data transfer stuff is an HP Vectra P1 166 tower.  One
> with the expansion slots at a right angles to the mobo, so that I can get
> at cards easily.  It's new enough that it runs Win98, Linux or NetBSD just
> fine, even though it spends most of its time in DOS--and it has the old ISA
> Catweasel in it.

I keep an old Gateway 486 for legacy work (3+5" floppies, nice
slow ISA bus, etc.).  I can hack together an interface card
for that bus a lot easier than for any of the other machines
I have here (PCI, SBUS, NuBus, etc.)  And, it's mechanically
a lot more tolerant (bigger fingers, etc.).

> I still keep an old XT around for things like the MatchPoint and Deluxe
> Option Boards.  It's not networked (yet) although I do have an Artisoft
> NE1000 clone card installed.  Just no software yet.  Same idea for old AT
> and 33MHz 386 boxes around here.

I use a Xircom parallel port adapter on my compaq portable 3
for networking.  If I am lucky, I can get about 75KB/s (B not b)
so it's better than nothing (and, for just moving files it's
a helluvalot better than trying to copy 5" floppies between
machines!).

Since it is a 286, it'll never run any "real" software (<grin>)
though it is a perfect home for the Opus card.