How CPU's work (was Re: Hi, I'm new...)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Aug 7 14:37:25 CDT 2006

On 8/7/2006 at 11:46 AM CRC wrote:

>IIRC what made the NS PACE such a screaming shame was that it was a
>clone of the Data General Nova 1200. The thought of being able to gen
>up code on my lab system and stuff it into this little chip just made
>me drool up until I discovered that, fearing the wrath of DG, they
>split the program counter. That made it a 256 word paged machine
>rendering all the code generation facilities useless. It was a while
>before DG came out with a chip set that was priced out of sight
>(another company which wouldn't share...).

IIRC, the PACE, while being based on the same architectural model as the
Nova, had many substantial differences.  There was another choice,
Fairchild, with the 9440, but I never got further than "someone will call
you, someday".    I gathered that they didn't want to be bothered with
something as mundane as sales.

Cheers,
Chuck