How CPU's work (was Re: Hi, I'm new...)

Don THX1138 at dakotacom.net
Mon Aug 7 14:47:01 CDT 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> There was another choice,
> Fairchild, with the 9440, but I never got further than "someone will call
> you, someday".    I gathered that they didn't want to be bothered with
> something as mundane as sales.

I think even firms that *did* try to sell product were piss-poor
on follow-through.

You'd either get no callbacks.
Or, no *detailed* literature.
Or, crappy development tools.
Or, ridiculous lead-times.
Or, exhorbitant pricing.
Or, buggy parts...

(sigh)  I wonder what it was like for many smaller firms
trying to do business for some of these parts?  When you're
looking to buy 10K a year, they'll send out the actual
(chip) *designers* to pitch their parts (I've got an interesting
assortment of "jewelry" over the years... 68K tiepins, etc.).
If you're buying *100* a year, I wonder if they even acknowledged
your existence?

:-(

Amusing to see how many of them have folded or scaled back.  :>